Wednesday, December 24, 2008

22 December 2008

On our way to Prague, these early morning starts are a killer, but as Brigette (our tour guide) says, don't waste time sleeping, it will be the most expensive sleep ever!

We stopped at a roadside petrol station/restaurant/toilet where we paid 50c to a machine to go to the toilet. It spat out a ticket, which you could then use to buy something in the shop! All I could think of was unwashed hands handling tickets... ew...

Prague is incredible - so old! like old old!. Run down in places, a little scary in places, in the dark. The hotel we stayed in is a boutique hotel one block from the city centre, so it was easy to walk everywhere. We walked so much I think my feet fell off!

Finally got internet access so I can finally start this blog... and I have.

In the afternoon we walked the streets from the hotel, (after a quick eat at McDonald's.. yes... I know). Every thing we could see was fascinating, most buildings more than 100 years old and many in the several hundreds. We were walking around St Wenceslas Square (so sang the song constantly for a day or so) which is actually a half mile long rectangle on a gentle slope down hill. Just fantastic. Christmas market at the bottom of the road, Huge museum at the top. We saw these wonderful sprial dough things baked over a charcoal fire, yum, and found a brilliant marionette shop. The one I like the most was several hundred dollars... so after that I couldn't buy something smaller, they just didn't compare.

We had dinner with the group, potato soup, pork, sauerkraut and dumplings (but flat, like bread). The best part was the apple strudel, which was the best apple strudel I have ever had!

We chose to pay for the night tour, and it was worth every penny.

OK, must fly for breakfast, will be back with the details of the tour and photos later on.

Merry Christmas everyone (as it's Christmas while I write this)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment